The cake of fall!
Pumpkin Spice Cake
1 box spice cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
1 package vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 cup pumpkin puree
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄2 cup oil
3 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice
1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional) or 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 -4tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
Place cake mix, pudding mix, pumpkin, oil, water, eggs and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 32 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- To make frosting, place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds.
Add the powder sugar and 3 tablespoons of the orange juice. Blend with the mixer on low speed approximately 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium and mix approximately 1 more minute, until the frosting is light and fluffy. If needed, blend in 1 more tablespoon of orange juice to obtain proper consistency.
- Frost the top of the cake. If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.